Tuesday, March 8, 2011

VACATION-Here I Come!

Now for the big test, can I stay on track when I'm off my routine? Even when you have big plans to stay under control, it is still a challenge. We went to St. George for a week to get out of the cold and see the warm sun. We found it!


Before we left, Robert and I stopped off at the Diabetes Expo to get a little more motivation. We met some good friends, Claudia and Gary Danielson,

and stood in lines together to get all the goodies (new monitors) and a free A1C test.

It was exciting to both get lower welcome numbers. So we started our trip with great encouragement to keep trying.




Arriving in Dixie to the spring-like weather with beautiful blue skys and light breezes, was additional encouragement to be active. Thank you so much to our hosts, my brother Kevin and his wife LaRee. They loaned us their bikes to ride as well as use of their beautiful home. (I rode first time in years.)



It felt like I was nine years old again!

I'm hoping to feel comfortable on one soon as I signed up to ride in the 25 mile Diabetes Tour de Cure ride in June. (More about it in a future blog)

We walked all around the subdivision, went hiking in the red rock mountains of Zion and just enjoyed the sunshine. I just felt like moving.


I visited my 86 year old Aunt Erva Miller who lives in a senior village there. She is my new inspiration.


She says she walks 3 miles a day, generally on her treadmill, because her neighbors can't keep up with her in the neighborhood.


She doesn't want to hurt their feelings!


We even found a local health club to work out in.
They also had a morning class for seniors, "Silver Sneakers", that we attended. It was so fun, I'll have to find one here at home too.



When some of my grandkids came on the final day, I ran with them a short way to the playground. I haven't done that for a long time, it was exciting to see that I could do it again, even for a short way.

I put on some of last summer's clothes that were tight when I last worn them, now they are comfortable. Whoo!

Well as a final note, I feel and look more fit than I have in a long time. The vacation was just what I needed to keep going strong!


3 comments:

  1. Who is this lady?

    What a transformation you have made momma. Keep it up. Isn't if fun to be doing things that make you proud of yourself. Mastering one's own self is very under rated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good feeling to know I am moving in the right direction. The more changes I make to be healthy the more I am encouraged to do more; it's a cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darla thank you for sharing! You really motivate me. Last week I actually walked on the treadmill most days, and I've been on my bike again and I lost another pound! Wish you were next door to walk with. I love seeing your happy smiling face. It brings back very fond memories. Keep posting!!!!

    ReplyDelete