Saturday, May 28, 2011

I'M BACK!



I've returned from my exciting trip to Washington DC and Baltimore, MD this week. My sister and I spent 8 days there, my first time on the east coast. It was eye opening. We certainly did our share of walking through the town too as we wanted to see all the inner harbor sites near our hotel.





Every morning and evening we walked to breakfast to a different resturant to sample as many different meals as we could (within our tastes).








Fish was prepared so many different ways, crab cakes, fish pasta, grilled salmon salad, fish stew, crab cream soup, and fish pizza to name some of the things we saw or tried.

Inspite of fish being a relatively healthy food, we observed many overweight people. You can make any food high calorie I guess.






I tried to eat new things that were still within my goals, though I made a few allowances for some of the special meals like the buffet dinner cruise on Chesapeak Bay.









On my whole trip, I never saw a single family home, only apartment buildings and row houses.




While my sister was in her conference, I took the opportunity to travel the "safe" tourist line buses and see the city of Baltimore. I was the only tourist I could identify on the bus. Mostly they were filled with ordinary citizens, mom with babies, students, early shift workers and shoppers. It was neat to sit among such a different ethnic group and observe.








We really enjoyed the Baltimore Inner Habor area with it's many beautiful buildings, ships, monument and memorials.

















There is a strong Polish and Jewish community there so many landmarks were dedicated to their difficult but enduring hertiage. The Holocaulst Memorial was particularly moving with a reverent feel.




Washington DC was such a sight to see!










Even though we were able to spend just one day there, I saw the Franklin D. Roosevelt, Jefferson and Linclon Memorials up close. We took the first tour of the day inside the nation's capitol, what an historic building.













Well I gained a few souvenior pounds on the trip but my sweet sister and I had a great trip.



I learned a lot. I was able to keep my diabetes in check by watching what I ate and with all the exercise. The extra pounds are coming off now that I'm back to my routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment